Early in the Civil War, Camp White Sulphur Springs served as a staging and training facility for the Confederate army. Later on, the camp and surrounding area functioned as a Confederate military hospital. In 1912, a monument was erected, dedicated to those who died at Camp White Sulphur Springs, by the David O. Dodd Chapter No. 212, United Daughters of the Confederacy. The cemetery at the camp was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, and it has received numerous national and state awards in areas of historical preservation.
Rison, Arkansas | This site marks the location of the March 30, 1864 skirmish at the town of Mount Elba between Confederate and Union forces involved in operations connected to Steele's Camden expedition.
Leola, Arkansas | On April 29 and 30, 1864, Union troops fought off an attack by the Confederates and, using an inflatable pontoon bridge, crossed the flooded Saline River and retreated to Little Rock.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve battlefields in America and protect the legacy of our nation’s defining conflicts.